Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) have asked Nigerians to hold the Federal Government responsible for their next action on government’s failure to honour an agreement it signed with them.
ASUU spoke of a plan to hold an emergency National Executive Council (NEC) this week with its leaders and principal officials to decide its members’ next line of action.
The union said it will follow-up its NEC meeting with consultations with all its chapters should the government fail to implement its promises to his aggrieved lecturers.
ASUU’s latest threat followed the expiration of the August 31 deadline issued to the Federal Government to meet its demands.
The Federal Government has not spoken on the latest agitations by the varsity teachers.
Labour and Employment Dr. Chris Ngige again could be reached for reaction as the several calls placed to his mobile phone last night were not returned.
ASUU President Emmanuel Osodeke said the NEC would convene to weigh available options and take a position.
The lecturers called off their eight-month strike in December last year after ASUU signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government.
After several complaints of breach of agreement, the federal government team, led by Ngige, met with the lecturers on August 2 to review the level of implementation of the MoU.
Ngige said the Federal Government, through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will release N30 billion as revitalisation fund to universities the following week.