The Inspector General of Police, Muhammed Adamu has rolled out nine do’s and don’t for the newly created Special Weapons and Tactics Team aka “SWAT”.
OrangeCityz recalls that the IGP on Sunday, disbanded the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and on Tuesday, he announced that the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) will be replaced by the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT).
However in a statement by the Police Force Headquarters Public Relations Officer, Abuja, DCP Frank Mba on Wednesday evening, the IGP released the conducts and rules that guide the newly created tactical team.
Here are important facts about the newly created TACTICAL Team:
1. No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the new TACTICAL team
2. Operations of the new TACTICAL team will be strictly intelligence-driven
3. Members of the new TACTICAL team will by no means embark on routine patrols
4. Members of the new TACTICAL team are barred from indiscriminate and unlawful search of phones, laptops and other smart devices
5. Operatives of the new TACTICAL team must be free of ant pending disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms and abuse of human rights.
Mandate of the new TACTICAL team is strictly restricted to:
i. Response to robbery attacks
ii. Response to scenes of weapon-related crimes
iii. Rescue operations
iv. Special operations involving high profile criminals